Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A first time for everything

No, I have no been playing that long, but something happened this morning that has never happened to me before.

I started with $50 on 4 tables on FT and was up to about $70 on one table when an interesting hand came up. I had 8h7h on the button, a preflop raiser (with $45) made it $2, I called, as did the BB (with $20). Flop come AhQh4h. I flop a flush. Very nice. Then it gets crazy, the BB bets $4, MP min-raises to $8. Now, at this point, when I see the min-raise, I figure that he hit a set, or he is trying to represent a flush, I don't know really. I decide to call, and then the BB moves all in for his remaining $14. MP then calls, leaving $25 behind. I go ahead and move all in for my stack and MP calls.

MP: Ad2c
BB: AsJd

Both were drawing to runner-runner full house, which they obviously didn't hit, and I took a huge pot. Then, the disaster hand comes up. I actually peak into the cashier and see that I am about $10 from making my $2k goal that was supposed to be for next month. (Too early for that now...)

A few hands later, I am now in the BB and I find 77. UTG raises to $1.75, called in 3 places, I call as well. 5 to the flop. I have everyone covered significantly, UTG has about $70. Flop comes Q75, two spades. I lead out with my set for $5, BB calls, folds to the button who thinks quite a while before raising to $12. At this point, I have to figure that my set is best, and I don't want the flush getting there, so I raise to $30. BB then insta-pushes all in for his $70. The button thinks about it for a while before folding (he ended up being on a flush draw, I though he had odds to call, but decided to fold) and I obviusly called. The only hand I didn't want to see, I saw. QQ. Ick. I am basically dead. Turn gave me life with another spade (I have the 7s, he has no spades) but the river bricked.

Yes, I have never been on the losing end of set over set. Twice have I been the higher set. Funny thing is, I was just reading in the CP forum about set over set yesterday, thinking about how I had never experienced it. All I can say is ick.

Did some other good things other than that beat, and did manage to increase the bankroll:

FT: $1,177 + six $26 satellite tokens (won another one this morning) = 1,333
PS: $635
Total: $1,968

So close. Almost there. I'll let you know when I am.

Thanks for reading.

Ryan

No comments: