Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Bad Players

Beginning PS Bankroll: $172.25
Ending PS Bankroll: $174.55
Profit: $2.30 (3-hour session)

Probably the most frustrating thing about low-limit hold'em is the amount of bad players. Obviously, if you are running well, you welcome all of the bad players. When you are not running so well, it makes it difficult to be consistantly in the money.

Case in point, last night, I played 14 6-man $3.25 sit-n-gos, all on PS. Finished in the money in 4 of the first 5, 3-2nd place finishes, and 1 first. Then, all of a sudden, my good hands keep getting taken out by not-so-good hands:

AA < 44 - all-in pre-flop
A8 < J8 - all-in after a flop of 8-8-5
TT < J2 - all-in after a flop of 2-3-4

Ended the session by finishing 4th-6th in my last 6 sit-n-gos, and ended up down about $8.60 for the sit-n-go session. I would be lying if I said I wasn't on a bit of a tilt after doing so poorly in the last 6 tourneys. The only good thing about being on tilt is that it helps me a little sometimes in cash games. I am typicaly quite a timid player, or conservative to say the least. When I jump onto a cash games after poorly played sit-n-gos, I seem to get agressive. Most of the time, it works out.

I proceeded to make back about $11 playing 2 tables of 10NL, with not much action on one table, and doubling up on the other after flopping a set of 2's, and having my opponent make trip Aces by the river.

Won't be playing Wednesday, playing some live poker tonight, and then my wife is in for surgery on Thursday. Probably won't be playing now until Saturday then.

Thanks for reading.

Ryan

1 comment:

Thomas Kennedy said...

Sit 'n go's are a great way to build your poker bankroll. However, the strategy for sit 'n go's is much different than in cash games or multi-table tournaments. Learning the proper strategy can make sit 'n go's a very profitable form of poker for you.